IRO on "transfer pricing rules":
- The fundamental transfer pricing rule ("Rule 1", Section 50AAF) in the Bill has the effect of requiring a tax adjustment when connected parties have entered into transactions where the pricing of those transactions differs from an arm's length price and that difference results in a potential Hong Kong tax advantage (defined in section 50AAJ).
- Rule 2 has a similar effect to Rule 1, Rule 2 applies the attribution of profits to a permanent establishment of a non-Hong Kong resident using the separate enterprise principle; however, Rule 2 does not apply to foreign PEs of a Hong Kong resident company
- (Reference:Asia-Pacific Journal of Taxation, Volume 22, Number 1, 2018)
- Transfer Pricing documentation requirement: "three-tiered" 1, Master Files; 2. Local File; and 3. Country-by-Country (CbC) report.
- a Hong Kong taxpayer meeting any two of is exempted from preparing the Master File and Local File:
- Total annual revenue not exceeding HK$400 million
- Total value of assets not exceeding HK$300 million
- Average number of employees not exceeding 100
- Certain qualifying domestic transactionscan be excluded from the thresholds and do not need to be documented in the Local File.
Certain domestic transactions not subject to the arm's length principle.
To be excluded from complying with the arm's length principle, all of the following conditions must be met:
- the domestic nature condition;
- the no actual tax difference condition or the non-business loan condition; and
- the "one of the main purposes" test.
- CbCR Notification is to provide IRD with relevant information on gourp's UPE and Surrogate Parent Entity ("SPE").
- A Hong Kong resident entity as well as Hong Kong branches/permanent establishments of foreign companies of a multinational enterprise group whose annual consolidated group revenue for the immediately preceding accounting period reaches the specified threshold amount of HK$6.8 billion, is required to file a CbCR Notification containing information relevant for determing the obligation for filing a CbC Return.
- A CbCR Notification is required to be filed electronically through the CbC Reporting Portal.
- [IRD Country-by-Country Reporting – Notification Deadline]
- [IRD CbC Reporting Portal]
- [CbC Reporting Portal User Guide of Data Preparation Tool]
- Main information to be provided in reporting portal:
- Table 1: the MNE group's economic activities, including total revenues, related and unrelated party revenues, profit/loss before tax, income tax paid, stated capital, accumulated earnings, numbers of employess, tangible assets other than cash in different tax jurisdiction;
- Table 2: details, including incorporation place, main business activities, residence country, tax/entity identification number, address, of all the Constituent Enttities of the MNE group
- IRD's Country-by-Country Reporting information website: https://www.ird.gov.hk/eng/tax/dta_cbc.htm#schema
P.S. discussion of transfer pricing rules on Hong Kong offshore tax: Hong Kong offshore goes on existing, but the portion of profits of a group / a production/service chains allocated to Hong Kong offshore company need to be at "arm-length priced" and welled supported by evidences. So that, non-welly-supported offshore profit allocated to Hong Kong company, i.e., tax evasion by shifting profit to Hong Kong offshore, may be abolished.